header

8.11.2009

"Because I just felt like it"

There are a lot of interior design principles, theories, rules and guidelines. They come in handy to help make or explain decisions to clients.

There are times when those guidelines fail me and my ultimate reason for making a design decision is based on my eye and a gut feeling about what works. Try as I might, I can't always explain these things as well as I'd like.

Imagine my delight when I read an interview with interior designer Bunny Williams in the Aug. issue of House Beautiful.


Bunny Williams' HB Aug. 09
(room by Bunny Williams as shown in Aug. '09 House Beautiful mag.)

The room shown was featured on the cover and was the topic of this discussion.

HB magazine: "That red chair throws it [the room] off, doesn't it?"

Bunny: "Somebody asked me why I put it there, and I said, 'Because I just felt like it'...."

(There was a bit more to her answer, including that "nothing matches, but it blends.")

I love that response because sometimes I feel the exact same way!

Do you love or hate the chair? Leave a comment and let me know. I love that she angled the mirror down so it reflects the room.

Now I have to catch up on the Sept. issue of the mag. and it's neat cover insert — a color card!

Happy decorating!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not liking the red chair. If it were a burnt orange chair, I'd probably like it more. Oh, yeah, I just got that color card insert in the new magazine. Fun!

designer, April Force Pardoe, said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm not sure the room needs a chair there at all!

Anonymous said...

The important thing to remember is that it's your room!

So if you just feel like it, put a red chair in it. You may be looking for the praise and admiration of others but the bottom line is...you live in it...so it has to make you happy.

Unknown said...

Fabulous room. I don't think the chair needs to be there either. But now the room would be the perfect place for meetings and get-togethers as the guests would naturally shift their attention on the host, sitting in the chair.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Pigtown*Design said...

Did you listen to the gals on the Skirted Roundtable talking about this room? It was so interesting to hear their take on it.

designer, April Force Pardoe, said...

Pigtown - No, I didn't hear them, but don't know their show. Must find out more! Thanks for stopping by.