header

2.17.2011

fabric inspiration - practicing what I preach

Hi design lovers. It's a sunny and warm day here in MD so I thought it was a perfect day to share the sunny new fabric roman shades in my home office.

I've been working on redesigning my office for a few months, starting with a paint job in November (Benjamin Moore's Nimbus, 1465, Classic Color). But, before the paint went on the wall I fell in love with this Thomas Paul fabric, which inspired everything else in the room.

Photobucket
{Thomas Paul fabric by Duralee. I admittedly have a crush on Thomas Paul fabric because I also used it in my decorator show house room!}

I love the bold, graphic pattern and the fresh, happy colors, combined with a medium warm grey. It's out of my normal color pallet, but I decided to change things up a bit!

I decided to have roman shades made of the fabric. My windows are small and high up and I don't have space for drapes, so the shades are a perfect solution. I have also added the colors from the fabric to a framed chalk board, pillows (coming) and lamps in the room.

Here's a peek at the shades, which went up on Super Bowl Sunday. Touchdown for my office (okay, that's corny, but I'm just going with it).

Photobucket
{Custom roman shade, hung at ceiling height (about 6 inches above the window frame) to add height to the room}

Photobucket
{Shade with my new art}

To find the perfect paint match for my chalk board frame, I took the fabric swatch to the paint store and matched it. This is a simple way to customize an ordinary piece and make it your own!

Photobucket
{Shade when lowered, with painted chalk board, showing full pattern}

I always encourage clients and friends to begin with an inspiration piece when decorating so I wanted to show you how I've done that myself. Find something you LOVE and build your room around those colors.

Happy decorating!

3 comments:

Kathleen Ellis said...

Your office looks FABulous, April! I love your fresh modern fabric and lampshade mixed with the vintage fashion prints....it "looks like you"! Great job!
;-D Kathleen

StylishHeather said...

Looks great!! My own office is in need of an update but I've been stuck...you've inspired me to get working on it :)

designer, April Force Pardoe, said...

Kathleen, thanks. I can always count on you for a wonderfully positive comment.