header

4.16.2009

my newly painted, happy room

I talk a lot about making your rooms happy. I think great decor can do that — really. But, you know what else a happy room will do? Make YOU happy.

I am giddy happy after finally painting our family room. Our formerly bland room now has life, warmth, spirit and is very inviting (if I do say so myself!). Most importantly, by simply painting the walls, ceiling and fireplace we created a whole new room. I also added a few new accessories and will continue to add items, but the change from color is phenomenal.

Take a look at the transformation!
I just got a new camera and went a little picture crazy, as you'll see.

family room b4
(before: bare walls and no visual interest)

Photobucket
(after: warm tones create an inviting room)

On the walls - Sherwin Williams' Ryegrass (a lovely, mid value, warm yellow green) and on the ceiling - SW's Shagreen (one color above Ryegrass on the paint strip). The ceiling is low (88") but the lack of contrast between the wall and ceiling color (vs. keeping the ceiling white) really raises the ceiling and the room is very open.

sofa_fp behind before
(before: blah and blah)

sofa_fp behind after
(after: a happy room)

The problem child of the room is the brick fireplace. It's just ugly, but a coat of glossy off white paint helped it a little bit. It could use a further overhaul, but for now, it's 100% better than pre-painted status.


fp before paint
(before: our ugly brick fireplace)

fp after paint
(after: a coat of paint pretties her up!)

As with most of my home projects, the room is still a work in progress. I like to take my time to find the perfect finishing touches, but for now, I couldn't be happier. In addition to the color update, I am now able to showcase a few of my favorite things on the walls. The screens are old window covers that I bought at a flea market many years ago and the stained glass window and architectural elements on the mantle are all from junk/antique store shopping.

wall grates

mantle decor after

What rooms in your house could use a coat of paint for a higher happiness level? What rooms already make you super duper happy? Click on comment to share you happy rooms.

happy decorating.

3 comments:

cupcakes and couture said...

April, it looks great!! I love the green and I think the white fireplace makes a HUGE difference. Bravo!

Kathleen Ellis said...

Great makeover, April! The fireplace looks so much better! Love your architecural finds...nice!
;-D

Dana said...

You did a wonderful job with your home project i like your living room happy wall shade.

Good work!