header

1.27.2008

Creating YOUR favorite art

About six years ago I decided to mess around with a Cannon manual camera that was my husband's grandfather's. Our dog, Lexi, pictured here at 7.5 years old, was just over a year old then and she became my willing subject.

I had little to no experience with manual cameras, but was always interested in photography so I thought I would try some black and white shots of the dog. Nothing to lose I figured.

After playing around with all of the buttons and knobs, I snapped away, able to control the focus and create some neat images. I developed several rolls of film and found a few that I really loved.

We didn't have any art in our house at the time (unless you count some framed posters), so I thought this would become great, affordable art for the living room. I wanted large pieces, so I put three 5x7 shots in large mattes and grouped the frames together to create "one" piece.

These images are by far my favorite pieces in our house.


Lexi's shots are in their second home now, right as you come up the stairs and I still love them every time I see them.

Take a peek.

They don't transfer well to web viewing, but in the one on the right I can almost feel her soft ear; the image is that crisp.


You may be wondering why I'm telling you this random story about my dog & her photography. It's not really to show off my art, but to share with you a story about how you can create beautiful, unique things for your home, that can become your favorite things.

They don't have to look like anything anyone else has, they don't have to come from a catalog (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they don't have to cost a lot, they just have to make YOU happy.

Kids, animals, nature and architecture are all wonderful photography subjects. Some are more willing subjects than others, but look around you for inspiration.

And, don't be afraid of messing up. Try new things. Abandon ship if it's not working and try something else. You can't create if you don't try.

Photography is certainly not the only way to go. I have many ideas for unique art and I will share them with you once I take pictures of all of my "homemade" art for posting. Stay tuned!

I believe a house becomes a home when it's filled with items that reflect you, your interests and your life. Whether you create it yourself, or search for that "just right" unique piece created by another, I encourage you to do so; the journey is just as much fun as the final prize.

We're heading to NYC for a long weekend this Spring and I plan on taking a lot of pictures of the city—hopefully to frame and hang in our family room.

Share one of your favorite pieces with me and send pictures! I'd love to see what surrounds you and makes you HAPPY.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome pictures! Your dog looks like our Sammy! You've given me some ideas for next weekend projects. I love the idea of black and white.

Steph

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I love the b/w photos and especially love the fact that you took them of your pet. I really enjoy reading about your fresh ideas.

Frankie

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I created a Family Wall on our staircase with the same concept. Chose three sizes of photos, made them all black and white and then hung them in black wood frames with the same color matte. Another idea might be to add color by choosing three shades of the same color matte and alternating them. LOVE the idea of using the dog...I gotta go get mine..here poochie poochie..