header

9.15.2008

Decorate like nobody is watching

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." The internet can't agree on who actually said this, but I think we all aspire to live like this to some degree.

I have a new one for you. Decorate like nobody is watching.

In other words, decorate for YOU. What would you do if you weren't worried about what other people would think when they saw your house?

If concern over what other people think is keeping you from taking on a decorating project I encourage you to decorate like nobody else will ever come over (I wouldn't really wish that on you, that wouldn't be any fun, but just pretend).

You might think it's easy for me to say, but I really think that many people let this concern get in their way of making decorating decisions. Don't wait for 3 of your friends to "approve" the art you want to put over the fireplace. If you love it, hang it. What do YOU think?

If you've never seen anyone paint their interior doors black, but you think it would look great with your decor, paint them. You know what I think? (not that you should care!) I think the fact that you may be the only one you know with black doors is cool!

Decorate for YOU. What are you waiting for?

1 comment:

Kathleen Ellis said...

GREAT point, April!
I always tell my clients..."It's your home and it's your money, you're the ones that have to love it!"
It just makes sense...we're the ones who LIVE in our homes, we should be surrounded by the things WE love!