header

2.24.2008

What's the worst that could happen?

I've been a bit under the weather with a darn cold this past week. This has me behind on posting on my blog, on housekeeping (the little that actually gets done!), on hygiene (c'mon, you all let that slip while blowing your nose constantly), on working out, on work and heck, just behind on life in general. I realized today that I'm in a cold rut. Every night I've been wearing my comfy pants and laying around watching Friday Night Lights on my computer (guilty pleasure). I've been doing nothing.

I like comfy clothes. They are comfortable and way too easy to get used to. I had to toss them in the wash today to start to break the spell. I'm coming back. I'm planning on going at 110% tomorrow to make up for the time lost last week.

My rut got me thinking about my house, your house, our homes. Many of them are in a rut. A big fat rut. It's okay, it happens to everyone. Tonight I am encouraging you to do something about that rut. I know, there are more important things to do aside from un-rutting your house. (I don't really believe that, but felt I had to say it so you feel understood).

Here's the thing. Just like I tossed my comfy clothes in the wash you need to toss your rooms in the spin cycle. Mix them up. Rearrange your rooms. I call it redesign, but you can call it whatever you want.

Find a room in your house that you don't love, that's just okay, and take the art off the walls, take the small pieces out, the accessories, the rugs, the chairs and the tables. Move everything out that you can and look at your room in a new way.

Bring in new things, from other rooms. Yes, from other rooms. Think of all of your furniture as homeless and move it around. A buffet can go in a bedroom, a dresser in a dining room, that piece of art that's ALWAYS been over your bed can go in your office! Really, it's true.

I want you to make the room look different than it looked when you started. Break the rut. And don't stop with one room...mix up a few. What's the worst that could happen?

Think of it as recycling. That's the hip and environmentally friendly thing to do now. You're getting a new room out of your same old stuff! Wow.

What are you waiting for? Spring is right around the corner. Get ready. If you can swing it, buy new, fresh throw pillows to brighten things up. Add new curtains, bring in new green or yellow accessories, toss a new blanket on that chair, add different color lamp shades to your lamps. I'm going to get really crazy here and also add that you could repaint!

What's the worst that could happen? Happy redesigning!

No comments: